Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kimono Update

Margaret came over to the house yesterday; she had the day off from school. We laid out and cut her Hadajuban and Susoyoke. Hopefully we're using a light enough material this time. Margaret overheated at Pennsic this last year. I also got her to try on her new Nagajuban, I finished yesterday. We added a kimono and I proceeded to make her suffer through me learning how to tie a "butterfly" knot for an yukata kimono (informal). Here is a picture of her wearing the yukata and practicing her embroidery.
I attempted to add the pillow (padding) to achieve the correct body shape and realized after completing the obi that it wasn't in the right place. But Margaret was happy and spent an hour or so practicing walking (little steps) and bowing to persons of various rank. (This is quite amusing to watch) Also showed her the season/color combinations and got her to pick out what she liked. Which will make things easier in the future. She didn't even complain about wearing green this time. I think she's figuring out that she can wear any color she wants and look good. I showed her a design I was working on and she asked "That's not going on a kimono for me is it? That's too much work." I assured her I had no plans to use it on a kimono at this time. (heehee) I'm planning to use it sometime down the road. 
I spent last night trying to decide how I want to do the straps on the apron dress. I still haven't made up my mind, fortunately I have a few days left. The gold/yellow trim looks wonderful, thinking about adding it to the straps as well. I'm starting to think I won't have time to do additional embroidery on the bottom, which is too bad because it's so pretty! 
Also worked on the ghawazee coat today. It's moving along faster than I expected, I thought it would be noon when I looked at the clock, nope, 10:30. The changes I  had to make to the original design look just fine, so all things considered I'm happy there. I figured out that using glue to tack the lacing loops in place is sooo much easier than pinning them. With any luck I should have the coat completed today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment