Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Gearing back up

After taking a week off from sewing (kind of) I am preparing to jump back into the fray. This time I am working on garb for my darling husband, Angie (cause she keeps loosing weight), and continuing to work on the kimono/obi for Margaret. I have to draft the pattern for Dave's garb from the book, Medieval Garments Reconstructed, fortunately this is something I have done before. I am reviewing the apron dress pattern regarding the method of construction. I had a fit of ...hmm...idea/comment/possibly-maybe-on-to-something the other day. It reads like this:
Flaw with apron dress
Norse stabilized edges by sewing grain to bias
Current pattern sews grain to grain
bias to bias=stretch
We are sewing costumes
Norse were sewing clothing-had to last
Worn everyday
Are modern pattern interpretations taking period fabric widths into consideration regarding layout?

I was in the kitchen fixing lunch and it hit me. I grabbed a pen and started writing. I'm kinda glad Dave wasn't home, he might have thought I'd gone nuts.
I have also started working on new piece of embroidery. I'm not sure what it's going to be yet. Mostly I'm just doing rows of different stitches. It may turn into something down the road though.
Now I'm off to sort fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment